24 May 2010

Peter McCluskey - The Lost Ancestor

My great grandfather, Peter McCluskey, has proven to be one of the most elusive members of my family tree on my father's side. In fact, my research into that particular side of the family line almost comes to a full stop once I get to him.

Here are some things I do know:
  • Born 6 March 1865 in Biggar, Lanarkshire, Scotland (I have verified this against the BMD for Scotland).
  • His parents are Patrick McCluskey (born c.1832 in Derry, Ireland) and Mary McCarron (born c.1832 in Kilmarnock, Ayrshire, Scotland). There are a number of variations of Mary's surname, including McCarrow.
  • In the 1881 Scotland Census, he was living with his older brother, Hugh, Hugh's wife, Anne, and their son, Patrick. The were living in Thorntons Row in Carluke, Lanarkshire, Scotland and he was a coal miner.
  • On 18 February 1891 he married Mary Gardner in Peebles, Peebleshire, Scotland.
  • In the 1891 Scotland Census, he was still living in Thorntons Row in Carluke and was a coal miner, but living with his wife, Mary.
  • In the 1901 Scotland Census, he was living with his wife and 5 children (Mary, Cornelius, Peter, Agnes and Annie) in Cowie Road Greenyards in Bannockburn, Stirlingshire, Scotland and he was a coal miner hewer.
  • A further two children were born early in the first deacde of the 20th century: Martha and John.
From this point on, all becomes very difficult when trying to locate Peter McCluskey. His wife died in 1906 and the trail goes cold.


Family stories suggest that my grandmother, Agnes, was sent to a convent with her sisters after their mother died. As my grandmother is no longer with us, I am unable to verify this information. I am anxiously awaiting the release of the 1911 Scotland Census in 2012 to see if this holds any more information on what happened to the children following the death of their mother. 

My father was not even aware of the existence of his Uncle John, the youngest of the children, so that leaves even more questions unanswered. As he was still a baby when his mother died, was he adopted out? Were the other children so young that they didn't even remember him?

I cannot find Peter in the 1871 Scotland Census. His own mother died when he was two years old. His own experience of losing his mother at such a young age mirrored by his own son, John.

I cannot find an entry in Scotland's BDM index for the death of Peter McCluskey. What happened to him after his wife died in 1906? Will the 1911 Census provide any information on his whereabouts five years later? Was he still alive? Was he near his children? 


The McCluskey name varies considerably on any documents and census materials - variations include McLusky and even McListy, which means at times they have been incredibly hard to track down.


I hope the release of the 1911 Scotland Census brings some answers or perhaps someone will come across this blog who already has the answers. I would love to share the information I have with anyone researching this family line!

No comments:

Post a Comment